The Ultimate List of College Essay Prompts (and How to Write Each Essay)
The College Essay
Congratulations on having written your personal statement!
Now let’s keep going! This page isn’t about resting on your laurels — it’s about pushing you over the finish line as you plow through all the supplemental college essays that still lie ahead. Oh, those pesky colleges and their additional questions!
This is your ultimate supplemental college essay guide. We have all the prompts + all the tips for succeeding. Bookmark it now! You just might be back as you make your way through this.
Use this fail-proof way to create college essay prompt ideas
We know coming up with great college essay ideas can be like finding a needle in an intellectual haystack. There’s stuff everywhere, but nothing is exactly what you’re looking for.
This is why we’ve built some powerful tools to help you (1) figure out which essays you have to write based on your college list and (2) develop a list of perfect, personalized college essay ideas based on your unique experiences.
Save this big list of college essay prompt examples for reference
We’ve rounded up every article we’ve written on essay prompts for specific schools. Each article also tells you exactly what to do to write the essays.
Hot tip: the best way to get through your college list is application-by-application. Don’t do an essay here and there. Start with the school you’re most excited to attend, and focus on their entire application. Then move on to second-most-excited to attend.
You’re graded holistically over your entire application, not essay-by-essay. That’s why it’s so important to think about the picture of yourself you paint over the entire application; not just in any one essay.
- How to write the Purdue Supplemental Essays
- How to write every RPI essay
- How to write the Case Western University Supplemental Essays for the Pre-Professional Scholars Program
- How to answer the Indiana University prompt
- Villanova Application Essays
- Writing the Supplemental University of Washington Essay
- Write the Pepperdine Supplemental Essay
- Writing the University of Richmond Supplement Essay
- Write a great Why UW Madison essay
- How to write every TCU essay
- Writing the Why Tulane Essay
- Writing the Wake Forest application essays
- How to Write the Virginia Tech Essays
- How to write the optional William and Mary Essay
- How to answer the Loyola Marymount essay prompts
- How to write the Boston College Supplemental essays
- How to write the University of Pittsburgh essay
- How to write the Georgetown supplemental essays
- How to write the Cornell Supplemental essays
- How to write the SDSU Honors college essay
Explore our best resources on Texas college essay prompts
Applying to a college in Texas? These are your guides.
Get help with UC college essay prompts
Applying to a college in California? These are your guides.
If you’ll be applying to a University of California college, we recommend starting with the UC PIQs because the questions are highly re-useable in other applications. Getting them written first will help you through the entire application process.
We also have guides to the essays for the University of Southern California.
- How to write the USC WBB essays
- How to write every USC engineering essay
- How to ace your town and gown USC scholarship essay
Related: Learn about the University of California’s “test blind” system
Everything you need for the essay supplements at Harvard, UCLA, and other top schools
- The Essay Topics that Get into Harvard
- How to Go Above and Beyond on Every Harvard Essay
- How to Write the Why Yale Essay
- How to Write Five Awesome MIT Essays
- Four Steps to a Compelling Why Princeton Engineering Essay
- How to Master the Princeton Supplement
- How to Write Outstanding Stanford Essays
More articles on Prompt.com’s admissions-boosting methods: